Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Woman and a Comedian


by IWC
She is the host in a new TV contest
program for comedian women
Photo: Courtesy of the artist


Very few Cuban women have become popular as comedians, because it persists among many people the idea it is an art only for men. The allegedly "weaker sex" only has right to a secondary role to create couple situations.

However, young Cuban artist Aleanys Jáuregui has managed to break this cliché with her talent, even when she never  imagined her career would take this course.
"The truth is I had no intention of being a comedian. I wanted to be a character actress, and I was making my best for. I started working in the theater and I was lucky enough to attend a casting and they chose mew for a teleplay. It was all crazy from there. I was interviewed on a TV program and by chance, if it exists, the famous Cuban comedian Ulises Toirac was watching it. He offered me a part in the program ‘Jura decir la verdad´ (You swear to say the truth?), because he was looking for an actress. Initially it was for two programs and it lasted over five good years


"At first his proposition seemed preposterous to me. I had never worked as a comedian before, to make matters worse, with all those already established actors I watched on TV. But as shyness is not one of my features, I went, and they turned out to be some intense and successful years of work and learning, and hleped me a lot to become the artist I am today."

The road can be full of stones, but these are nothing more than experience we acquire in life. Stopping, refusing to overcome the obstacles, make many persons to feel frustrated  Aleanys does not seem to be the case.

"Since I was a child  literature lured me. I still have stories I wrote when I was only nine. Later the bug of acting got inside me and I tried to enter the Cuban University of  Arts (ISA) and another similar school, but  none of them chose me.

"I had a very small role did on a TV serial and later worked as an assistant director. without  any salary. So I learned TV and entertainment dynamics. I never gave up, and then came the  opportunity of the part of Cuqui la Mora. Eventually I wrote the scripts for that program.

"I regret not having been able to study in an art school. To be a elf-taught persno has a great merit, but the academic training gives you a cultural background you can later exploit.

Most of comedian in Cuba are men, so to be Inserted into this space seems to be a challenge for the Cuban women.

"I don't think women are less in comedy than our male counterpart.
I think that there is discrimination and a good dose of understatement to us; in addition, there’s not a real interest in developing comedy among women actresses.

"That’s why, and perhaps also with the desire to demonstrate how wrong are those thinking  women are not funny, we've created the TV program called More women. We chose 15 participants who are able to do a good work as comedians.”

One might ask, what are the limitations in Cuban humor?

"The main limitation is everything is empirical. Cubans are funny and spontaneous by nature, but we cannot let all to chance. We lack courses and schools where you can develop comedy among those trying to make a living with a smile”, Aleanys says.

“IN my opinion, from that limitation  comes the  most of deficiencies about humor on the island. Cubans, so attached to comedy, do not have places where to improve or to speak before experienced artists who can give guidance.

And what does the the future predict to this comedian woman?

"To continue working. To demonstrate women we can toosome , despite detractors. While I have fun, I will continue with this, my passion; and that is going to be for a long time."


No comments: