Tuesday, May 17, 2011

SEARCHING A DREAM

By IWC

Photo: Elio


Marlys Reyes Sánchez is an authentic young girl from Camagüey. Tall, self-assured, very clever for her 19 years old. She´s an art instructor, majored in Theater, although she confesses that whenshe was a child she preferred other field of arts: dance.
“Since I was a little girl I felt attracted by show. I spent hours before the mirror trying to copy the steps ofhe dancers in the television. There was not any artistic tradition in my family, but a lot of love, yes; perhaps it was why art infíltrate into us, because only where there is peace it can flourish. And thus one day my mother decided to take me to some ballet classes and I was there very at ease, I was constantly practicing the

different positions. Later I wanted to explore other artistic areas and there was no opposition. So there was Marlys in contemporary dance and later in Spanish dance. I loved to be on the stage. I danced, I sang, I felt as if that stage were my place. And today I am surer than ever”.

Nevertheless, the field she chose in the first call to Art instructors was the theater.


“It was a hunch. I have to confess you that I had gone often to the theater, but almost always they were dance shows. I have certain theater bent, I was attracted for all the field of arts that could be contained in one. Theater can incorporate all the elements you wish: dance, painting, photography and, of course, acting…

“I took the tests and was accepted. I felt as if my dream began to become true. At least a part of it. I was adentrando a long way that just begins. On the one hand it was acting, direction (that is what I´m really interested in), and on the other hand, teaching. To learn how to teach. The better you are, the better you will know how to educate. It is a balance, first that learns when it distributes is the same teacher. To be an Art instructor allows me of knowing every day, to discover where I have certain difficulties or ignorance, and then, to be able to go deep in those zones, to be a better instructor and at the same time, a better drama actress”.

The daily study is the secret of this girl. She counts on her family´s support, mainly from her mother: “Without her I couldn´t be who I am, and much lesser that one that each day tries to improve oneself. Time lacks to me. Every day I read, mainly on theater. I prepare the classes. I do acting and concentration exercises. In the school we have created a group among the students: they attend the practices, the staging.

“I also study f Social Communication in the course for workers in the University of Camagüey. I learn there still better how to transmit knowledge I can acquire. It is a beautiful major because it has to do with people, the way you can reachthem”.

As if it were not enough with this, Marlys has also been in the radio. “In Radio Cadena Agramonte broadcasting station I passed a course of actress and I learned a lot there, especially on diction. It is an advantage to be able to listen to your own voice, to analyze it and to discover the modulations that fail or are inadequated. I liked to work in the radio but I prefer theater”.


The relation with the students has been a different school for her. “Perhaps fear is not the word to define my first day of classes, but I felt a great nervousness. I wanted to be an example for them, to give them the best part of me and they felt attracted by theater. At the beginning it was something difficult because of my inexperience. But while the course advanced, the relation was changing. It was a patient work. Today they see me as their professor and I am very glad with them, who are the fruit of this effort. Something of their cultural training belongs to me. And this is a great incentive to be better every day, to understand and to know more. It is a mutual school. We all learn when classes begin”.











No comments: