Saturday, June 11, 2011

JOURNALISM IS ALSO WRITTEN IN BRAILLE

by Lázaro Manuel Alonso Castro (Journalism student)

That October 14th fate wanted, in a premature childbirth, to take off from Susan the privilege of existence. Their lungs, almost suffocated, did not respond to the body. It was then when a cradle without any stuffed toys nor marionettes, surrounded by devices and strong lights, protected the childish constitution of the newborn baby


For more than eleven days, her relatives were keeping vigil on her, hoping the recovery. After such a long uncertainty, the group of doctors tore off death the life of the little one, but the oxygen provided during the recovery left an injury in its green eyes that today prevents her to discern between lights and shades.



Nineteen years after of being blind, this girl says that to overcome shyness was a quite complex process. Today she is safer, and you can see her walking as she leans on her cane and carrying a Braille typewriter.

SJ: How independent is Susan?


I´m enough, but I still have some steps to take. I can leave, take the bus, to sweep, to clean and do other household chores. I don´t need someone to take me by the hand; nevertheless, I´m afraid of going to the kitchen.

SJ: What message would you send to those people who have some kind of handicap and they don´t decide yet to incorporate themselves to society?

To get to success it is necessary to break the psychological barriers, they are the truly harmful ones. We can reach everything we set out to.


SJ: You arrive early at the Special School for Blind y. How much did it contribute to your formation?

There I discovered the value of friendship. Perhaps the teachers could do a little more for their students were more independent, like, for example, establishing relations with children from other school. That spacing out, to call it in some way, was the cause from which the educational changes were abrupt for many disabled ones.


At the moment they have improved in that aspect. The kids know more about towards the outside, it exists an interaction and the passage from a level to another is not so shocking.


SJ: We know you studied to be a librarian before going to the university.

I wished to attend to senior high school, but my scores weren´t good enough. Studying to be a librarian was one of the options to value, and as it was related to journalism, I decided to do it.


SJ: So, it was already clear to you your preference for journalism.

One of my grandmother´s sister, who took care of me while she was doing the household chores, encouraged my interest As she always listened to the radio and I had my visual deficiency, the magic of the sound came over me. Later I began to analyze things from another perspective and my enthusiasm about news information and the speakers´ expressions increased. I understood how necessary is to be clear when you´re communicating.


SJ: After your entering to the university, which are the bigger difficulties you face?

It´s reading. In house my family helps me a lot, but there are many times when they cannot d´edicate me enough time, because they work. Also the use of Internet is very complex, since I cannot accede to navigators due to the lack of a program that gives sound to texts nor you can´t read in Braille either.


SJ: Reading by that system requires effort and dedication for the learning.

Previously I could see some great letters with my right eye, not with much clearness, but but I was able to recognize what was written. When my vision deteriorated I had to use the Braille. At first I rejected it, because I couldn´t get used myself to total blindness, until I finally managed to use the hands instead of my eyes.

SJ: How you manage to meet the challenges the society imposes to you?


It´s impossible to have a professional who is afraid of interacting with other people, even though he or she has a physical limitation. I just imposed myself


“My family´s support and that from my classmates at school, where my passage through high school went by, were crucial. They provided, without realizing, the opportunities so that I could become more agil and and lost fear.

SJ: What dreams you would not want to stop realising?


There are many. A very big one would be to have a family with children. Sometimes I imagine my full home of kids surrounded by love. Another yearning is to work as a journalist on the radio, an exciting media that, as I told you, has captivated me since I was a little girl.









No comments: